‘We were all looking at each other and saying, ‘Is this real?” – ABC News blog post

A mother and daughter who have been on the run for almost two months have been reunited with their baby girl, who was found safely at a safe house after she had been missing for almost four months.

Key points:Police have identified the child who was discovered at the Safe House on the Gold Coast, where her mother was staying last monthPolice said the child’s mother is a nurse and her daughter is a nursing studentThe child is currently in hospital with severe dehydration and hypothermiaThe child’s father was not with her at the time and his condition has since improvedPolice have also found the remains of the baby girl and are now seeking to trace her mother and find out what happened to her.

The mother was in the Safehouse with her two young children when she left the premises on November 13, 2018 and was last seen by her mother at the door.

The girl was found the following day in a pool of blood.

Police said she was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans and had a small bruise on her forehead.

Her mother was a nurse who worked as a nurse on the day she was found.

“She was in a very bad way, she had a bloody nose and her lips were swollen,” Senior Sergeant Ian Breen said.

“Her mouth was open and her eyes were closed.”

He said she had told her daughter the following morning, after they had returned from their overnight shift at the house, that she had found the baby and that she was very worried for her.

“So that’s why we are all so desperate,” Senior Sgt Breen added.

“Because we are very worried that the mother could not have come into the house without a nurse.”

The child was found about four weeks later at the home of her mother.

“The mother has been in intensive care for three months,” Detective Sergeant Breen explained.

“At that point in time she had no recollection of what happened the last time she was with her daughter.”

Detective Sergeant Bown said the mother and her partner had been living in the same house since November 12.

“It is extremely difficult for them to come back to that location and have this little girl safely in the care of their family,” he said.

Police were keen to establish whether the woman knew the child had been taken to the SafeHouse.

“I can confirm that the child has been safely returned to the home,” Senior Constable Steve Tarrant said.

Topics:missing-person,child-abuse,police,missing-persons,diseases-and-disorders,law-crime-and,crime,crime-prevention,crown-island-2450,australiaMore stories from Queensland